Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Running Quotes

First off, let me start by saying that I'm glad I'm home for the evening. We had our first freezing rain of the winter, so I drove 30 mph on the interstate to get to my cozy house. Have I mentioned I hate the cold? And that I hate winter? I don't mind snow if I don't have to get out in it or I am skiing. Other than that, I prefer warm weather. Now, on to the post.
I have always been a sucker for quotes. That is probably why I love my new shirt so much! Give me a good motivational quote and it can truly be inspiring! As a runner, the same is true, and there are tons of great running quotes out there! I thought I would share some of my favorite ones with you.
  • "There are clubs you can't belong to, neighborhoods you can't live in, schools you can't get into, but the roads are always open."
  • "In running, it doesn't matter whether you come in first, in the middle of the pack, or last. You can say, 'I have finished.' There is a lot of satisfaction in that." -Fred Lebow, New York City Marathon co-founder
And that one for me is especially true. I've said it before and I'll say it again. I don't run to win races. I'm not a fast runner, but I enjoy running. I love the feeling of accomplishment when I finish a race, whether it is a 5K or a marathon, and whether I finish first, in the middle of the pack, or last!
  • "Running is a big question mark that's there each and every day. It asks you, 'Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?'" - Peter Maher, Canadian marathon runner
  • "The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start." -John Bingham, running speaker and writer
  • "Running long and hard is an ideal antidepressant, since it's hard to run and feel sorry for yourself at the same time. Also, there are those hours of clearheadedness that follow a long run." -Monte Davis
Running is a way for me to de-stress and I love the calmness that comes over me after I run.
  • "What distinguishes those of us at the starting line from those of us on the couch is that we learn through running to take what the days gives us, what our body will allow us, and what our will can tolerate." -John Bingham, running writer and speaker
  • "Those who think they have no time for bodily exercise will sooner or later have to find time for illness." -Edward Stanley
This doesn’t apply to only running but the fact that people who exercise are healthier than people who don’t. And I’m a much happier person if I work out consistently. I feel out of whack if I don’t.
  • "If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run." -John Bingham
  • "I run because it's so symbolic of life. You have to drive yourself to overcome the obstacles. You might feel that you can't. But then you find your inner strength, and realize you're capable of so much more than you thought." -Arthur Blank
  • "Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane!"
  • "A race is a work of art that people can look at and be affected in as many ways they’re capable of understanding."
I have said it before – participating in a long distance race will take you through every emotion possible and it will affect you in ways you never thought you could be affected! Especially the first one you finish! It's a feeling like no other!
  • "You have a choice. You can throw in the towel, or you can use it to wipe the sweat off of your face." -Gatorade
I love this one because I do sweat a lot and if I forget my towel, it’s hard for me to get through the run!

Do you have any others? What are your favorite quotes? I would love to hear them!!!

1 comment: