Thursday, December 16, 2010

Half Marathon Registration...Check!


I am registered for my first half marathon of 2011! I am very excited for this as it is in wonderful (and hilly) Lawrence, KS! This is the one I decided a while back that I was going to do, but the online registration just got up and running recently. The race is April 17, 2011 and along with the half marathon, there is a 10K, 5K and a 1K Fun Run.

The cool part is that all half marathon finishers get a finishers medal. I'm not fast enough to ever get a winner's medal, so a finishers medal is perfect for me! Finishing is a challenge in itself, right? All the way through high school, I got tons of medals from track, golf and gymnastics, so to be in my 30s and getting medals again makes me feel great! Silly, maybe, but medals have always given me pride in my accomplishments and this should be no different!

This race will be unpredictable for sure! The weather in itself is very unpredictable in Kansas. In April it could be hot or it could be cold! I ran the 5K at this race in 2009 and it was really cold and rainy. Not the most fun conditions to run in, but the race in itself was fun and well organized. I skipped out last year because of all I had going on with planning my wedding. I heard from people who participated last year that it was again very well organized and a lot of fun, so I can't wait to find out for myself this year! On the website, the race is described this way:

Prepare for an incredibly challenging tour throughout the beautiful city of Lawrence. A course that will take athletes through the University of Kansas as well as the rural lake views of beautiful Clinton Lake. This exciting Half Marathon will truly have a touch of everything! Just like the city of Lawrence!

Incredibly challenging are great words to describe it after I looked at the course map and elevation map on the website. And I should know that the hills on the KU campus are truly challenging. I spent many college years walking up those hills to my classes! If you'd like to join me at the race this year, check it out here!

No comments:

Post a Comment