Thursday, December 23, 2010

Road ID: Safety First

I hope everyone had a very Merry (and safe) Christmas! While driving to my hometown amidst all the holiday traffic, I was hoping and praying that everyone would be safe during their holiday travels. And that made me think about doing a post about safety while running. I usually don't think too much about it because I do take the necessary measures:

- I run on the sidewalk whenever possible.
- If I have to run on the street, I run toward traffic like you're supposed to.
- If it is dark outside, I don't wear my ipod so that I can hear everything going on around me.

But the one thing I didn't do was carry any identification with me. Living in a small town similar to the one I grew up in, I feel very safe and comfortable. But, you can never be too careful. And my husband always asks many questions about my safety while running, and it just got me thinking. About the same time, I had gotten an email from Road ID. I had heard of Road ID many times with all the races I've done, but never checked out their website. After getting that email, I checked out their website and decided that I should get myself a Road ID for when I run outside. That way I wouldn't have to worry about losing my driver's license on a run.

After much looking around on their website, I chose the Shoe ID. I attached a picture of my shoes and you can see it attached to my left shoe. {As a side note, these Saucony's have the most miles on them and I am due for a new pair. Might use some Christmas money for some new running shoes!} My husband thought I should get the Wrist ID instead, because people might not check my shoe if I was hurt. But I also knew that the Wrist ID would be something I could easily forget to put on. With the Shoe ID, it is always attached to my shoes. I have a few pairs of running shoes, but they are attached to the ones I use for outside running, so it will always be with me! And it is reflective and you can never be too reflective while running!


If you don't run with any identification, or you'd rather not run with your driver's license, click here to check out Road ID's website. I am not getting anything for writing this post. This is just my own opinion on a product that I purchased. And it does make me feel safer while running! There are enough lines on the plate to put a multitude of info that someone might need. My Road ID has 5 lines of info for me. And there is room for a 6th line, so I used it to put a saying on it. I had "I RUN BECAUSE I CAN" put on the 6th line. That was just to remind myself every day that there are many people who can't physically get out and run and I am super lucky that I can!
Enjoy the rest of your holiday season and have a Happy New Year and be safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment