Monday, January 24, 2011

Rockets Run 2011 Race Report

The 1st race of 2011 is complete! I flew down to Houston to see my dear friend Sara, her husband Joe, and their beautiful new baby girl, Allison! I found the Rockets Run 5K online and thought I would run a race while I was there. It was great to be in the sunny, warm weather since we have tons of snow on the ground in Kansas!

The race was at the Toyota Center. We started in front of the arena and the race actually ended on the Houston Rockets basketball court! It was a pretty cool race to run in. Lots of people, lots of sponsors and lots of fun. Once I got into the tunnel in the arena, I lost the signal on my GPS. My Garmin said 3.04 miles at 28 mins 29 sec. So even thought the Garmin only shows 3.04 miles, I know I still ran 25 seconds or so after my Garmin lost signal. The time kept running though. This was definitely a 5K PR for me! I've always focused on just finishing the race, but time has become something I've started focusing on more. I hope to see many more PR's in 2011!

The Marines were a part of this race as well. They ran in sync the whole race and they chanted the whole time. It was so neat! I did run with my camera and I was trying to take a picture of them as I was passing them, but they were so blurry that I did stop to take a non-blurry picture. It was so worth it to take a picture of them, but the next 5K, there will be no distractions I hope!

The Marines are in the dark green running suits with orange letters.




Here is my race report from my Garmin:

Mile 1: 9:27

Mile 2: 9:13

Mile 3: 8:48

Mile .04: 59 seconds (The Garmin lost satellite signal in the arena, so it looks like I didn't go the full 3.1, but I did)

Total 5K: 28:29

I came in 645th out of 2000 overall participants. I came in 185th out of 982 women. And in the Female 30-34 age group, I came in 25th out of 187. I was very happy with my results in my 1st race of 2011!

I definitely got faster as it went on. Dodging in and out of people at the start of the race is always a little difficult, but I had a great time! Here I am after the race:

And here is the finish line:


2 comments:

  1. Congrats on a new PR!! That is exciting! And how fun to run in the sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun race! And congrats on your PR. I'm sure you'll have more of them this year!

    ReplyDelete