Wednesday, January 19, 2011

NYC = Crazy Me!

I did the Bank of America Chicago Marathon in October of 2009. It was my first full marathon and it was an awesome experience! But, it was very challenging and since then I have said that I would rather stick to half marathons. Yesterday I got an email saying that the Chicago Marathon registration for this year is up now. I was looking on the website and saw a link for the World Marathon Majors: Boston, London, Berlin, Chicago, New York. That made me go to the NYC Marathon website to just check it out.

As I was browsing the website, I was looking at the registration info. There are 3 main ways to get entry into the marathon.
1. You have to have a good enough marathon or half marathon time based on your age. My time isn't close to fast enough and I'm okay with that.
2. You can raise money through one of their charities to guarantee your entry, which is what I did for the Chicago Marathon.
3. You can submit your application to be in the lottery drawing.

Something came over me at that moment and I submitted my application for the lottery! It kind of all happened so fast that my stomach was in knots as I pressed the Submit button! The lottery drawing will take place mid-March and if I get picked, I will do the New York City Marathon Nov. 6, 2011! I figured that if I ever did a full marathon again, I might as well do a big one! Who knows, maybe someday I'll be able to run each of the 5 World Marathon Majors - I already have Chicago crossed off the list!

The chances aren't great that I'll get picked, but it's random, so who knows? If I don't get picked this year, I will apply next year as well. If you don't get in 3 years in a row, the 4th year, you are guaranteed an entry, so I will for sure be running it in 2014 if not before! I think I'm crazy for submitting my application, but I'm a runner, so being crazy is a requirement, right? Crazy or not, I just might be headed to New York City in November and it makes me really excited thinking about it!

3 comments:

  1. I love spontaneous race registrations. I hope you get picked - I've heard New York is amazing. I'm training to qualify for Boston at the Utah Valley Marathon on June 11th, so maybe I'll make to those 5 Marathons some day too.

    I ran a marathon last summer and got sick at mile 16. I threw up 4 times, and thought I was going to die. While running I swore I'd never do another one. Well, 2 days later I sent in my registration for the Pocatello Marathon and it was perfect - no injuries, sickness etc. So, you're bound to have a great next marathon :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's great! NY would be a great one! Here's hoping you get in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Jess, that is awesome!! Although I don't ever forsee myself doing a marathon, if I did I think it would be the NYC one, it looks like it would be the most amazing way to see the city! Good luck, I hope you get picked!!

    ReplyDelete