Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Childrens TLC Groundhog 2011 Race Report

My 2nd race of 2011 is complete! And even though it was my 2nd race of 2011, the actual type of race was a first for me. It was underground in tunnels in Kansas City! My friend, Miranda over at Living Locally told me about it a while back and I had never heard of an underground race (check out her blog - she posted a couple pictures of the race and tunnels)! Immediately I knew I wanted to do it. There was a 5K and a 10K and I decided to do the 10K. I had been battling a cold all week and I didn't get in all the mileage earlier in the week I wanted to. So, I didn't know how it would go.

First of all, I knew inside the tunnels it stayed around 68 degrees all year round. I didn't want to over-dress. So, I decided to wear my new running skirt that I got HERE. But I also didn't know until I got there how long I would have to walk outside to get to the entrance to the tunnels. It was quite a ways and it was really COLD and windy! I'm glad I brought my compression socks and my Nike long sleeved running shirt with me. So, I put my long sleeved shirt on under my short sleeved shirt and I put my compression socks on so that at least my calves were covered. I also didn't know what it would be like in the tunnels and I was going by myself. I didn't want to have anything extra because I didn't know where I'd put it. So, needless to say, I froze on the long trek to the tunnel. And I could have brought a little bag and left it in the tunnel. Other people were doing that. So now I will know for the next time I do this race.

I was very lucky to find Miranda, Sarah and Heather amongst all the people. It really is a miracle we found each other! Miranda and Sarah did the 5K which started at 9 am and Heather and I did the 10K which started at 10 am. The 5K race had to finish before we started because the 10K course is actually just running the 5K course twice.

I am a solo runner. I always have been. I get anxious when I run with other people because I definitely don't want to hold them back. But it was nice to have Heather to run with! We ran together the first half of the race. Because the race is in a tunnel, the air was pretty stale. And with the cold I was still battling, I was having a hard time breathing. So, when we got water at the water station, I had to walk a little ways to get my breath back, so I told Heather to go on and I'd see her at the finish. She definitely helped me to push myself the first part of the race even though I was slightly uncomfortable. I finished strong and was proud of myself for pushing through and still getting a 10K PR. This is only my 2nd 10K, but a PR is good nonetheless. Here is the race report (I didn't have my Garmin because I wouldn't have gotten satellite signal in the tunnel and I didn't even have a watch, so I don't have the time by mile):

Mile 1 (they did track and post this for us): 10:28
Being in a tunnel and having the race sold out, it was pretty difficult at the beginning to get through and around people.

Total 10K time: 1 hr, 2 min, 1 sec

Average pace was 9:59

I was 781st out of 1160 runners in the 10K (there were 3500 total runners for all races combined). In the Female 30-34 age group, I was 73rd out of 132 runners. I was pleased with my performance and I would definitely do this race again with what I know now and hoping I would be completely healthy next time!

I didn't take my camera to the race, but I had my husband take a picture of me when I got home. There is a picture of me with my dogs and then me sporting my new running skirt!




3 comments:

  1. You did so great!! I was super impressed you were able to keep up with Heather for 3 miles, she is speedy. I always feel guilty when I compare the pace we run together versus what she runs by herself, I really slow her down!

    It was great seeing you, can't wait until OKC!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun! Way to go on your underground race, and the PR! Whoohoo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun! Great job! And I like your skirt, very cute!

    ReplyDelete